Pig Head and Potato Pie
This is a wonderful recipe. Yet again it proves that a cook can use every part of the pig.
1 pigs head (sawn in half if possible)
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 onions, peeled and chopped
2 celery sticks, peeled and chopped
1 head of garlic
2 leeks, chopped
Thyme/parsley stalks and bay tied up as a bouquet garni
10 peppercorns, tied up in muslin
A half bottle of white wine
1. Put everything in a large pot (it’ll be a large pot!) and simmer for 3 hours or until the meat is tender.
2. While warm take off all of the meat and cut it into small pieces.
For the pastry…
2 packets of puff pastry
1.5kg of Maris Piper potatoes
1 bunch of sage leaves
12 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
1. Roll out the pastry to line a 30cm spring form tin (bottom and sides)
2. Line the base of the tin with greaseproof paper
3. Starting with potato, layer potato, pork, sage and garlic in the tin.
4. Top with a pastry lid and weigh it down with a tin or oven proof plate
5. Cook for two hours (check that the potato is cooked)
6. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before releasing the tin sides and serving.